July 16, 2010

The fun of getting twins to sleep.

So lately my boys have had a hard time getting to sleep. At first it was because of their teething and they would wake up screaming in pain. Now that they each have two teeth in it's kind of let up on the pain but the night waking habits are still in full swing. Sometimes they'll wake up at 2 in the morning wanting to play other times it's to eat but the last few nights it's been both of them taking turns waking up. Take last night for example. I finally get the boys to bed at 11 pm and go to get myself something to eat before I go to bed myself. I am just finishing eating about 20 minutes later when Xander wakes up. I simply just let him lay there awake because he wants to play and it's not play time. After a few minutes he drifts back to sleep but Thane wakes up fussing. It was maybe one or two cries before he was back asleep but it was enough to wake up Xander again. This time he was awake for hours. I fed him and he started to look drowsy so I laid him down. I thought he was asleep for the night after a few minutes of him breathing deeply with his eyes closed. I went to the bathroom and when I came back he was awake again. He was playing with his feet and babbling and laughing. It took until 1 or 2 in the morning to get him to finally sleep. At which point Thane woke up to eat and fuss until 4 in the morning. After that it took awhile for me to get to sleep because I kept thinking the boys would wake up again every moment so when there was the slightest movement or cry my eyes snapped open to check on them. I miss their nice sleep schedule and hope they go back to it soon. So for now when I hear mothers of one baby complaining about their one baby that doesn't go to sleep until midnight or wakes up during the night I envy them. I still wouldn't trade my boys for one baby though. I couldn't picture my life without both of them here with me. Oh and if there is one thing I have learned about my boys through this whole thing it's that white noise does not work with them at all.
I remember there was a time when I wished they would wake up more because it seemed like they were sleeping 24/7 but now I'm finally getting to know a time where I wish they would sleep a little more because the get so cranky when they don't get enough sleep. I'll add more later but the boys just woke up again.

No comments:

Post a Comment